Monday 23 December 2013

The Highly Anticipated Albums of 2013

2013 was a pretty good year for me and music. Five (yes, five!) of my favourite bands either released new albums or, because I’m not very good at keeping up with music news and I often miss these things, I finally got round to getting an album they released at the end of 2012.

Either way I was pretty stoked. So, rather than do one Best Albums of 2013 list I thought I’d do two. One for the ones I was probably going to love due to blind devotion to the artist and another one of surprising pleasures.
Anyway without further ado I give you the albums I waited for, I counted down for and got excited about for months in advance.

The Birthday Massacre-Hide and Seek
 
I'm not gonna lie, the Birthday Massacre are probably my favourite band at the moment. They don’t have a weak album in my view (although the two before this one, Walking With Strangers and Pins and Needles were very similar sounding. But in my view you can never have too much of a good thing). This one is a bit simpler than the other recent ones. The songs are shorter and less grandiose but the trade off is they often have a bewitching calm about them. They also use a wider range of vocal techniques similar to their first album Violet which also helps mark it as different. The choruses are still rousing and anthemic though so it's good if you need a bit of get-up-and-go. One of the things I love about this band is that every song is so undeniably them. They have such a distinctive sound and even though they've gone for something a bit different this time round it's still so Birthday Massacre, and I adore it.

Stand out tracks: Leaving Tonight, Calling, In This Moment

HIM-Tears on Tape
 
 
Like the Birthday Massacre this is a band I’ve loved for a very long time, which is why their last album (2010’s Screamworks) being so disappointing was a hard thing for me to accept. I thought they might have lost their spark, but then they brought this out. It's brilliant. It’s dark and moody and much heavier than Screamworks. It reminds me of Love Metal, which is one of my favourite albums of all time, and I generally got the feeling of a band that tried branching out then went back to what they know. I was also lucky enough to see them play live in October and they were easily the best I’ve ever seen them. I’m now hoping that this is a return to form and they’ve got a few more albums like this left in them. Challenge accepted, lads?

Stand out tracks: All Lips Go Blue, I Will Be the End of You, Into The Night.

The National-Trouble Will Find Me
 
Seriously though, just how fucking good are The National? I am in awe of them. Every note and every word on this album works perfectly. It’s not really music you can have on in the background though. It’s so pervasive and evocative you have to stop and listen to it. I can picture the story in every song so easily and I sometimes still get goosebumps when I listen to it (I've had it since May). I think this band is a good example of being more than the sum of their parts. Every bit is good but when put together it creates something magnificent. I can’t exactly put my finger on how they get the reactions out of me they do, but I hope they never stop.

Stand out tracks; I Should Live in Salt, Fireproof, Sea of Love, Pink Rabbits, Hard to Find.

White Lies-Big TV

In honesty of all the albums on this list this is the one that disappointed me. I adore White Lies’ first two albums so was pretty psyched for this one, and it starts really well. The first two tracks are stonking, then it just started…drifting. It’s not an awful album by any means I just wanted it to be a bit bigger, a bit more self indulgent and bit more experimental. I wanted to love every song the way I did with Ritual (well, except Turn The Bells. I’m still not sure what’s going on there) so it’s probably my own fault for building it up too much. Sigh.

Stand out tracks: Big TV, There Goes Our Love Again, Tricky To Love.

AFI-Burials
 
AFI have gotten a lot of flack for how their sound has changed over the years. I’ve been a pretty avid fan of theirs for the last decade and I can understand where those criticisms have come from. The band that made Sing The Sorrow doesn’t sound much like the band that made this album. But I stand by them. Every record they’ve made has its own merits and Burials is no exception. It’s a very dramatic album and I like how they’ve put things together and where they’ve tried something new, even if I’m not always convinced by the results. And, as always, they appeased my angsty, melodramatic side perfectly so I still love them unconditionally.

Stand out tracks: I Hope You Suffer, A Deep Slow Panic, The Conductor.  

No comments:

Post a Comment